Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 20

I am a long time member of both Facebook and Myspace. I started my Myspace page during my stint playing Rollerderby as a Minnesota Rollergirl. It gets more action than my Facebook account, which is more geared to my work/school and friends who have rejected the "Myspace culture."

Its true, that Myspace is a bit sleazier, but I don't mind it now that I've changed my profile settings for greater privacy. The great thing about Myspace is that I am almost guaranteed to find the person I'm looking for...including long-lost kindergarten friends and high school enemies. (I love to see former teen "mean girls" relegated to over-worked, divorced mom-hood...Okay, okay, so maybe I'm the "mean-girl" now, but STILL...) Mostly, I use Myspace for social announcements, planning and catching up.

Facebook is a lot less useful to me, because most of my peeps don't use it. (Although there is a growing number of contributors.) It has some other things going for it though. My Facebook account has silly questionnaires and applications that are pretty fun. For instance, I have a virtual zombie I can attack other Facebook friends with. Myspace doesn't have the same kind of innocent sense of play. None of my old nemesis seem to have caught onto this though, so I can't spy on them there.

In short, both sites are good. I would be loathe to start any other social networking accounts, because they seem to only be useful if they are popularly attended. It's about connecting, and if no one you want to connect with is signed up, then you are out of luck!

No comments: