Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thing 12

I dig Digg. When I'm surfing the news, I usually review the "most emailed or commented" articles these sites post. Because, hey, who doesn't enjoy the entertainment factor? A lot of the grizzly, gossipy, low-down-dirty stuff makes those lists. However, I must point out that sometimes it feels less like news, and more like "popular media."

I really try to focus on the Times site, NPR, and my local papers (all online or through the radio and RSS feeds.) There I get a grip on the aspects of the world that are newsworthy, without having that "hot new thing" aspect. Because if I didn't, the only people informing me would be (well lets face it) John Stewart and Stephen Colbert...Oh yeah, and that weird celebrity blogger guy that broke into tears after Brittany's heinous music video awards debacle.

Still, it's cool to have the opportunity to express and enjoy the opinions of other news junkies...because even the Strib is hiding Iraq on page seventeen these days. I'm not interested in what sells papers, (from what I hear NOTHING is selling papers right now...not even free subscriptions!) I just want to know whats goin' on.

So, this becomes my new task. "Digg"ing the stories that have importance globally (Like the Bear Crash), and trying not to digg the stories I couldn't help but read (like about product placement in the new Sex and the City movie.) Which is what I did...However, I can't help but point out that the sex and the city one is still right up there in the top ten "most commented/e-mailed" without my help at all.

No comments: