Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing 10

We use wiki's a lot in Library school. I like them better than the online document generators from thing 9 for collaborating with other people. Not only can you co-create and alter information, you can also post attachments. For me this is a better middle place between emails and online word processors.

I know wikipedia gets a lot of flack because of the fact that anyone can alter the information, and that can often be wrong. But I like the fact that it isn't static, like a book. Wrong information can be fixed, without a reprinting. Also, its a really great resource for PRE research. You may not use that information in your final project, but it is a powerful tool to get your brain thinking about all your options. Finally, wikipedia covers really OBSCURE and/or CURRENT information. For instance: you can read about the concept of sub-culture groups using zombies as a method of social justice...where else are you going to find that?!! Also, as soon as Pluto was downgraded to "planetoid" wikipedia was on it. A lot of my print resources still claim it's a planet! (Of course, I would steer people to a database for this...still its a good example.)

By the way, I edited the 23 Things wiki. I AM Jessi, and I do rule!!!! (Even though it felt a little bit like graffitti!!)

No comments: